Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Good News!!!

Never in my life did I think I would have conversations with my husband detailing the color, texture, and amount of poop in a diaper. Yes, this is my life. But I wouldn't change it! I now know more about formulas and baby poo than I ever thought I would know. But the good news is that our little guy is now pooping without blood. Even better news, his body is absorbing the new formula and he is gaining weight! That's right! His poor body just couldn't absorb any of the nutrients in the old formula because he couldn't break down the protein. The food was just going right through him. I weighed him tonight and he weighs 11lbs 8oz. He weighed 11lbs 1.5oz on Monday.

I tried changing his formula to the one suggested by CHLA, but it was impossible to get just one can. I had to buy it in bulk and it was incredibly expensive. Elijah is so picky about what he eats, and I was concerned that he would refuse the new formula. I did some research and saw that some people suggested Alimentum Ready to Feed as an alternative. It is suppose to taste a little better. Elijah seems to agree! He was really, really mad at first and let me know that he was not happy with the change. However, by the third bottle, he was taking the feeding like a champ. He is now eating more than ever and is super happy. He is sleeping between bottles at night and just seems much more content. We are still getting up with him three times a night, but he needs the extra bottles to gain weight and hopefully catch up. We are tired, but it is worth it. I just have to remind myself that this is only temporary and that we have the rest of our lives to sleep.

Noah is doing well. He is learning a great deal at his new preschool and even counted to ten the other day. He likes to help with his baby brother and has adjusted pretty well to having Elijah around. He is going through his terribly twos and drives us crazy sometimes, but he really is quite the trooper. I am excited for the long weekend and having some time to spend with Noah. It gets so busy during the week that we don't get a lot of one-on-one time. I try to sit and read with him and take some time to play or have a bath every day. It's those moments that get me through the tougher times.

No comments:

Post a Comment