Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Grandma Ruby Thompson

I would really like to dedicate this post to my grandma, but I did want to let you all know that Elijah is home. He has been quite the miserable little guy and he seems to be very uncomfortable, but I am hoping he gets back to himself quickly.

My grandma passed away last week. Yesterday, the family gathered to celebrate her life and morn her passing. I have to say that I am a bit stunned by it all. I could write about her death, but I think I would rather reflect on her life. My grandma was vibrant. She breathed life into all she did and she did nothing half-way.

I remember her visiting us in Alaska during the summers and baking cookies and sewing. We loved when grandma came to visit because it meant lots of sweets and grandma lovin. My sister and I would come out to CA and stay with her for a few weeks during the summer. She was so much fun and always active with both of us. We would go to fairs and parks and attend her church. She would cook for us and laugh with us.

She was there for us through the good and the bad. She celebrated with me on my wedding day and comforted me when I cried during Elijah's first open heart surgery.  Grandma loved my boys and my husband like no other.  I always teased Dion and said that my grandma thought he was her boyfriend. She loved that man. So much so, that during the holidays, we would get a tray of cookies for the family and Dion would get his very own tray, specially made just for him. She would call him to chat and have him relay messages to my sister and me. She could have just called us, but she really just wanted an excuse to talk to him. He held a special place in her heart, just as he holds one for her.

Grandma's house was our family's touch-stone. Our center. It had nothing to do with the house. She was the glue that held us together. She was the example of what a person should be. What a mom, grandma, Christian... what a person should be.  I can only hope to be even a little like my Grandma Ruby.


No comments:

Post a Comment