Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Blah... Eh... Ugh...

Umph... That is how I feel today. Elijah had his cardio work up today. Dion typically takes him to these appointments, but he wasn't able to today so I went. You have to remember that these days consist of an xray, echo, EKG, and doctor appointment. All of this typically takes 5-6 hours. These are looooong days and whenever I am the one to go with Elijah, I am grateful for Dion and his commitment to our family. There is no way I could do all of this on my own.

On a positive note, Elijah was a rock star today. He walked all over the place, the nurses knew his name and fawned all over him, and he said hi to anyone who would listen. You would never know that this kid has a life-threatening heart defect. He is typically shy and afraid of people, but man oh man he came into his own today and shined! He never cried during any of the procedures. He was amazing.

However, after all is said and done, he is going to have to go in for a Cath and a sedated echo. The sooner the better, according to his cardiologist. They are going to try to address three things; coil any existing collateral arteries, widen his aortic arch, and evaluate any blood flow issues. They hope that by widening the arch, they may increase blood flow this his arm as well as take pressure off of his right ventricle. Hopefully coiling the collaterals will help his breathing. I knew this was coming. I had a gut feeling we were headed back to the cath lab. Elijah's breathing has been really fast and his lips turn blue whenever he gets really active. He has started walking and is all over the place so we see his blue lips regularly now. I knew this was coming, but I'm still not happy about it. I hate that my little guy has to continue to go through these painful and scary procedures. I hate that he has to be scared. I just hate it everything about it. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment